Wednesday, May 13, 2009

saltshaker

Good morning from the saltshaker.


It seems to be coming together now and that feels good. I am thinking about how we communicate with eachother now. I remember when my parents go their first telephone. It was a party line and about 6 people on the line and you could listen in to anyone on the phone in another house. Their first phone number was 3926. That was it. Let me know if you remember your first phone number. Long distance was not heard of unless you could spend a lot of money to do that. People had codes like is Jack there. To tell someone they arrived safely and not pay for the call. It was person to person and if they weren't there the call would be free. Today with skype and the internet and cell phones we can contact anyone anywhere in the world instantly. Quite something isn't it. But in some ways the old way wasn't so bad. I probably go back further than most of you but, let me know what you think of this age of instant communication. I think that all this communication is evidence of our need to talk to eachother.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah I remember that giant black phone on that special little table in the middle of the house. It was stationary so I remember my sister in all sorts of positions around it as far the cord would allow. And trying to be "private" in the middle of the house - a rather small house.

    The prefix of our number was a WORD - "Gedney" GE4 2467!

    I think it is amazing that a party line was probably rarely ever used for criminal purposes. Today our cell phones and computers are access ports for all sorts of crime.

    I am reminded of the phrase... "Americans know the price of everything but the value of nothing!"

    enjoy

    ReplyDelete